Various Artists - DJ Kicks: Dam-Funk
DâM-FunK is the kind of guy who seems like he’d make great company: laid-back, affable, personable. But to truly get the guy, to really understand him, is to know a deep love of music like no other.
Dam’s contribution to the DJ-Kicks series gives you an opportunity to do just that. It’s a snapshot view into the mind of the pioneer of Modern-Funk music… DJ-Kicks invites you to get to know the man behind the shades. Dam makes a lifetime of digging and absorbing music that feels as laid-back as the Santa Ana breeze. Years ago, he coined the term ‘Modern Funk’ to give context to his music. The elements of the synth-heavy and multi-layered style are gloriously displayed on DJ-Kicks.
“Modern-Funk is a combination of all the sounds on the mix,” he explains. “Funk, Boogie, Electro, House, Modern-Soul, Ambient tones… a push and pull of nostalgia and progressiveness…” At a satisfying 19 songs, DâM-FunK’s DJ-Kicks lets grooves breathe. This is a mix to happily get lost within; a document in vibe. Unexpected contemporary joints mingle with lost gems from unlikely places.
The exclusive DâM-FunK production “Believer” makes its debut on DJ-Kicks, an extensive instrumental composition that on it’s own could only be classified as signature Modern-Funk.
The mix also includes Dam’s excellent collaboration with Nite Jewel, as ‘Nite-Funk,’ on “Can U Read Me?”
01. Moon B - Oof
02. Nicci Gable - Close To Who?
03. Randell & Schippers - Love Jam
04. Verticle Lines - Theme From Beach Boy
05. Brandon - Suzy Hijack
06. Take Three - Tonite’s The Night (All Right)
07. Index - Starlight
08. Uncle Jams Army - Dial-A-Freak
09. Gemini - Log In
10. Nexus - Stand Up (Instrumental)
11. Reggie B - Poison Candy
12. L33 - Keepin It Tight
13. Gaussian Curve - Broken Clouds
14. Tony Palkovic - True To Yourself
15. Henning - Arrival / Departure
16. Nite-Funk - Can U Read Me?
17. Dâm-Funk - Believer
18. True Design - I Wanna Break
19. Crystal Winds - Funk Ain't Easy
Genre: Funk, Soul & Disco
Format: Vinyl LP
Released: 20th March 2020