Chilly Gonzales - Solo Piano III
Grammy-winning Canadian pianist, entertainer and composer Chilly Gonzales releases the ﬁnal album of his Solo Piano trilogy.
The album comes six years after Solo Piano II and, according to Gonzales, at “a more problematic inﬂection point”. "Like its predecessors, it’s a mostly happy ending in C major, but there is more dissonance, tension and ambiguity along the way… The musical purity of Solo Piano III is not an antidote for our times, it is a reﬂection of all the beauty and ugliness around us.”
Known as much for the intimate piano touch of best-selling albums Solo Piano I and Solo Piano II as for his showmanship and composition for award-winning stars, "Gonzo", as he is known to close collaborators, aims to be a man of his time, approaching the piano with classical and jazz training but with the attitude of a rapper. He holds the Guinness world record for the longest solo concert at over 27 hours. He performs and writes songs with Jarvis Cocker, Feist and Drake, among others, with recent collaborators including the likes of Ibeyi and Toddla T. With Never Stop, Chilly Gonzales composed a global hit for the inaugural Apple iPad 2 campaign. In 2014 he won a Grammy for his collaboration on Daft Punk’s ‘Best Album of the Year’ and composed the best-selling book of easy piano pieces Re- Introduction Etudes. With his last album Chambers, Chilly Gonzales devoted himself to ﬁnding a modern take on chamber music.
Most recently, Chilly Gonzales ventured into a new form of entrepreneurship. A culmination of recent years’ explorations in teaching, Gonzo inaugurated his very own music school: The Gonzervatory.
During this all-expenses-paid residential music performance workshop held in Paris, 7 selected students explored Musical Humanism, audience psychology and what it means to be a performing musician in 2018. After a week of intensive coaching, masterclasses and rehearsals, these young musicians performed a concert for an audience of 1500 fans with Chilly Gonzales himself as Master of Ceremony. The Gonzervatory Workshop and Concerts were livestreamed on pan-European TV station Arte Concert to record-breaking audiences (Arte’s 2nd most viewed concert). Plans are already being made for the 2019 edition.
1. Treppen, Dedicated To Rudolf Steiner
2. Pretenderness, Dedicated To Fanny Mendelssohn
3. Prelude In C Sharp Major, Dedicated To Wendy Carlos
4. Famous Hungarians, Dedicated To Ernő Rubik
5. Chico, Dedicated To Eric Andre
6. Nimbus, Dedicated To Amelia Earhart
7. Be Natural, Dedicated To Beach House
8. Ellis Eye, Dedicated To Migos
9. Present Tense, Dedicated To Thomas Bangalter
10. Cactus Impromptu, Dedicated To Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou
11. Lost Ostinato, Dedicated To Hildegard Von Bingen
12. Blizzard In B Flat Minor, Dedicated To Conchita Cintrón
13. October 3 Rd, Dedicated To Jason Beck
14. Kopfkino, Dedicated To Nadia Comăneci
15. Whist, Dedicated To Bernard Moitessier
16. The Secrets Of SPIII (bonus Vinyl Only Track).
Artist: Chilly Gonzales
Label: Gentle Threat
Genre: Indie & Alternative
Format: Vinyl LP
Cat Number: GENTLE20V
Released: 7 September 2018