Various Artists - Still In A Dream: A Story Of Shoegaze 1988 - 1995
“Shoegaze” was a term invented circa 1990 to describe a new breed on UK Indie guitar bands inspired by the likes of 4AD Records, My Bloody Valentine and US acts like Sonic Youth.
Bands like Ride, Moose, Lush, Pale Saints and The Telescopes married dreamy, off-kilter melodies, skewed, heavily effects-laden guitar riffs and psychedelic production values.
Although “Shoegaze” was initially a somewhat derogatory term to pigeonhole a clutch of new acts, the term quickly evolved to become an accepted genre of music which has influenced successive generations of bands, especially those outside of the UK.
Across two LPs, the evolution of the sound labelled as “Shoegaze” is charted from the bands who inspired it to many of the US and other non-UK acts. Awash with rare memorabilia, 12,000 words of sleeve-notes from journalist Neil Taylor and band biographies, STILL IN A DREAM is the ultimate tribute to what was also called ‘The Scene That Celebrated Itself’!
1. CHERRY-COLOURED FUNK – The Cocteau Twins
2. CHRISTINE – The House Of Love
3. HYPNOTIZED – Spacemen 3
4. PUPPET CLOUDS – The Prayers
5. SIGHT OF YOU – Pale Saints
1. PRECIOUS LITTLE – The Telescopes
2. DE-LUXE – Lush
3. CRYSTAL EYES – The Nightblooms
4. SLOWDIVE – Slowdive
5. LIAR – The Charlottes
6. SOMERSAULT SUNRISE – Blow-Up
1. GRAVITY – Moonshake
2. GONG – The Hinnies
3. CLOSER – The Sunflowers
4. MIRRORED – Drop
5. IN HOLLOW – The Belltower
1. PHONEFREAK HONEY – Sweet Jesus
2. I DON’T MIND – Sun Dial
3. LOVESLIESCRUSHING – Babysbreath
4. SURROUND SOUND – Spindrift
5. DOZEN – Alison’s Halo
Artist: Various Artists
Label: Cherry Red
Genre: Indie & Alternative
Format: Vinyl LP
Cat Number: BREDD733
Released: 30 November 2018