rkls - Self-Titled
Both D-Malice and Kid Fonque are well-established players in their native cities; both boasting long-term involvement and impressive credentials. After meeting in 2013 and nurturing a very natural and obvious predilection for golden era hip-hop, 90s R’n B, soul and trip hop they decided to pool their creative resources and rope in a wealth of talent from their combined networks under a new moniker. Enter rkls.
On this debut offering the pair have worked with LA’s broken beat visionary Marc De Clive-Lowe, legendary emcees John Robinson and Kev Brown, dazzling new vocal and production talent from South Africa - Sio, Melo B Jones, Daev Martian and White Nite to name but a few.
This diverse list of guests flex their dexterity allowing the album to shift easily between ballads and more up-tempo beats effortlessly. Punctuated with spacey interludes, the resulting twelve tracks glisten with sumptuous textures, swelling harmonies and organic instrumentation. Familiar but fresh, rkls feels like you’re meeting an old friend with enthralling new stories to tell.
1. Where You At? (feat Melo B Jones)
2. Hours Go By (feat Sio)
3. Situations (feat BK)
4. Fourth Tune (feat White Nite)
5. Break Ul (feat John Robinson & Sio)
6. Turn It Up (Intermission)
7. To The Rhythm (feat Kev Brown & Melo B Jones)
8. Speechless (feat Sio)
9. Waste No Time (feat Daev Martian & Dee C’rell)
11. Vibrations (feat Daev Martian & Sharka)
12. Word Up - Kid Fonque & D-Malice Feat MdCL (rkls Version)
Label: R2 Records
Format: Vinyl LP
Cat Number: R2LP29
Released: 30 March 2018